Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Conviction Discussion thread

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Conviction Discussion thread

Post by Guarddogjr on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Howdy y'all. Um not too good at this sort of thing but I've been reading this story:Conviction. Written by the talented, Y1, it takes place during Celestial sister's civil war, and I should probably let the synopsis do the explaining.

Anyways I figured I'd share it with it y'all and making a place for discussion. So I hope y'all enjoy the fic.

Edit: I should of probably stated this earlier, but this a dark fic so be prepared for that going into it.

Last edited by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name: Azure Sunrise
Sex: female
Species: Hippogryph

Back to top Go down

Re: Conviction Discussion thread

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 am

You weren't lying Guard. This story is dark I'd go as far to say that the nightkin resemble a cult much more then they do a military. Or at the least my understanding of one.

That being said the interactions between Chase and her student are rather sweet. Even now that Goldie has become a lot more angry and antisocial, I might even say more so now then before.

I could really do without some of the stuff in the story, but I suppose it serves it's purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 am

Aye, everything in the story serves it's purpose. Even if it can get a little... Uncomfortable at times.

The scenes with Chase and Goldie/Song are usually my favorite in the earlier chapters. Some of the stuff during training is very interesting though, or at least I thought so.

Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Well, I suppose I'll put this one on the "to read" list.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm

I hope you enjoy it Robo or at least like it.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Okay, so the last chapter I finished is three. Still wondering when this "loyal batpony sets out to free her goddess" business that was mentioned in the story description starts.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am

It starts in chapters five-six, the author actually made a couple jokes about it when he finally reached it.

Also, next chapter is going to be... interesting for you. If not extremely creepy.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Just finished chapter four.

Oh my...

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah, I was not a big fan of that part myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Yeah,.the transformation process is rather brutal.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Just read Chapter 4 and all I can say is-

Do you really want to know?:
WANT

Allow me to offer you a quick play-by-play:

The knife buried into her chest, and blood sprayed over my face. I panicked and desperately tried to pull away, and then I smelled it.

Her blood smelled like... it smelled like... the deepest richest fruit I'd ever imagined. Like the finest wine anypony had ever made.
...go on.

I should have felt pain, instead I shuddered with delight as she pushed all of my teeth out of place one by one. I must have swallowed a few, but a second later she sat back and spat out the rest . My pearly whites glistened with blood as they tumbled to the mattress beside her, and she smiled at me, exposing her fangs.
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh...

Then her jaw clamped down. I struggled and tried to sit up at the shock of it, but the Lady above me kept me down, while Her Other Grace tore into the flesh of BUYSOMEAPPLES. She was biting... something, something glorious. She wrenched and tore at me and I screamed with pleasure.
WANT
SOVERYMUCHWANT

My gosh, she tore off her skin, starting at the crotch... starting INSIDE, even. Ripped off her face. Stabbed into her sides and rearranged the bones so that she could pull out her wings. Twisted and pulled out her teeth and poured her blood down her throat...
The only thing she didn’t do was peel off, or otherwise strip her of, her irises. I’ve never read a more sensual body horror (not that I’ve tried to find any), and I LOVE IT.

I am SO LMRing and I don’t even care, I just wish I could live though that beautiful nightmare...

I would give anything for an experience like that, either giving or receiving.
Coming through the other side still alive and entirely intact, of course, but yeah, WOW!

This one just has normal spoilers up to chapter 7:

I had to fight back the urge to roar with glee near the end of 6 when she took out Pyra. That was epic.
I also loved Stygus’s final act of defiance. I had been hoping he’d survive with them... not because he particularly deserved to, but simply because they’d already lost so much. Just two characters left, after all that? I never so much as got an inclining the culling would be to this great a degree.
Besides, Stygus’ addled mind would have been an interesting thing to deal with, particularly his irrational hatred of Slight and Chase due, in strong part, to that magic... but yeah, that doesn’t matter.

I honestly miss him, though. More than any of the other dead and entirely due to the context revealed in his final hour regarding what his life was truly like. He wasn’t so different from Slight, really... he wanted nothing more than to “celebrate” alone, and hated every last one of his fellow nightkin. He hated them for being more devoted to Luna than he without even having to be brainwashed, though, and for the fact that he had to abide her sharing her love with them instead of only with him. Love he, again, didn’t even want. See how entertaining that would have been? The only thing that kept him going forward was the magical devotion and the will to survive, and he went out as best he could.

Heck, I bet Stygus’s brain reeked of treachery, at times. Not in ways that denoted any intention toward actual betrayal, since he could hardly feel stronger he had nowhere else in the world to go, but raw hate for Luna from time to time while she smiled at his misery, only punishing him when he spoke fractions of that hatred aloud.

...the problem with THAT theory is, while she’s incredibly vindictive, I don’t see her caring to keep such a game going so long. Why have someone like him command her troops? Is there a story to this? I feel like there must be. He had history and knew many things. He was one of the first, did the ritual not go right those first times? What of any other ponies from that far back? Had they all cracked and only Stygus’ will to live kept him alive for so long?
He just doesn’t feel complete to me...

...anyway, holy crud, at the end of chapter 7, the author made me feel sad for them. Honest to goodness sadness. I love and connect with these characters, even though I don’t particularly like them or identify with them.
I felt their hopelessness, persecution, excitement and fear. I am in this fic, dredging though their emotional mires.

This is a really, really good fic and I adore this world.
Sucks it’s so far from being complete; I doubt I can maintain this level of fanaticism for long with so little material to start it up... but, hey, it’s something!
Imma go thank the author <3

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Spoilers up to Chapter 7:

In Chapter 3, I found this interesting, but did you pick up on why they made the foals use a mouth held dagger instead of the hoof ring swords they have?

Pyra's death was probably one of my favorite parts in story so far, it was just so perfect how it happened and was very happy that Slight was able to get revenge.

As for Stygus while he was one of the first, Astral Victory was the oldest of all living nightkin and he wasn't anywhere near as cracked Stygus. Not sure what Stygus's deal is, but I have feeling that he need mind control for different reason, possible because he was taken when he was older or possibly ex-Celestian guard. Hopefully we'll find out more about him.

As far as Chapter 7 goes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Especially when Slight was contemplating giving up when she saw Luna locked away in the moon. Just the complete and utter hopelessness she felt was just almost heart breaking. Then that scene with her and Chase at the very end was needed. It was nice to see the regrets Chase had and how Slight made herself a promise to be there and help Chase cope with her loss.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Guarddogjr wrote: did you pick up on why they made the foals use a mouth held dagger instead of the hoof ring swords they have?
...no, I did not.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:03 pm

The reason for using mouth held blades was to get them used to the taste of blood and used to killing it'd have more of lasting impression that way.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Guarddogjr wrote:The reason for using mouth held blades was to get them used to the taste of blood and used to killing it'd have more of lasting impression that way.
Ah, that makes sense.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Guarddogjr wrote:
Spoiler:
Pyra's death was probably one of my favorite parts in story so far, it was just so perfect how it happened and was very happy that Slight was able to get revenge.
Spoiler:
Honestly, it was about time the freaking magical pony ninja assassins started acting more like what they are and less like what their enemies are.
Conservation of ninjutsu, seriously.
They should not be meleeing these guys. They should not be facing them in one on one combat. When Slight came across nine soldiers in Luna's bedroom, she took 8 of them out correctly, then decided to duke it out with the last when she could have shadow magiced herself into a better angle. Disengaged, let him sweat it out a bit, distracted him and put her blade through the back of his neck.

Assassins always beat warriors, but only if they fight like assassins, so yeah... putting her blade thought Pyra's heart while she wasn't looking was the type of thing they all should have been doing the entire time.

Also, would it have killed them to put rooms in the castle you could only get to by jumping through shadows? Seems to me like it really wouldn't have been hard to put in some kind of safe room... not that they expected to ever be invaded.

Getting tired of spoilering stuff. All in favor of making this entire topic open to spoilers?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Um, sure that's fine with me if it is with everyone else.
Spoiler:

I also found myself wondering that as well. If Slight, who was noted as not being that smart, was able to figure out to fight like she was taught, why didn't the vets? Granted most of the Celestian forces were out classed by a lot once the nightkin got armed and armored, but the Celestians outnumbered them at least 30 to one. They knew Blackrock like the back of their hooves they should of been able to set up ambushes.

While having a panic room would make sense, I think they might not of done that for the non transformed nightkin, since the foals wouldn't have been able to hole up in the room if it was only accessible by shadow magic.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Guarddogjr wrote:While having a panic room would make sense, I think they might not of done that for the non transformed nightkin, since the foals wouldn't have been able to hole up in the room if it was only accessible by shadow magic.
I've seen nothing definitely stating nightkin can't teleport others. When their magic was described, they stated that the magic is to manipulate the shadows, not their own bodies. They stay the same while the shadows become portals.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Good point, I think Slight dragged that Royal Guard trainee through the shadows with her when they fought, but what about the energy costs to do so? When Slight did too much at once it seemed to exhaust her pretty quickly, with the black shadowy smoke that came out of her mouth and all. Granted they'd probably leave the servants behind hmmm, it could possibly work, maybe turn it into a siege which could benefit them or cause the Celestians to break Blackrock apart brick by brick.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Did I miss the part where it stated what Slight and Chase are, in terms of shadow magic? Manipulators, absorbers, or both? I think they're at least both manipulators, since they both shadow jump, but I don't think it was ever addressed.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Since Slight and Chase are both a second and a third, respectively, they can do both if I remember what Stygus said to Slight when he was talking to her when she was a foal.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:22 pm

*walks in, covering eyes to avoid spoilers* On a slightly different note, I've started reading one of Y1's other stories: Penumbra. You have a look at that one yet, Guard?

(Don't worry guys, I'll try to have the rest of the story finished by tomorrow. I got a lot done today at work, so hopefully I'll have fuck-all to do tomorrow and get to breeze through the rest of the story.)

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:27 pm

No actually I've been meaning to read some of his other stories though. How is it?
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Well, it looks somewhat promising. It's a little slow to start right now and seems to be revealing a bit too much about one side, but I'm only at chapter two  (EDIT: erm...well, chapter 1 + prologue...). I really expect the ball to get rolling in chapter three. It damn well better - it's a 20k word chapter.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Hmmm, I might give it a shot. I just need to read up on some of the updates I've been neglecting...
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:36 pm

At the end of the latest chapter Chase says they're going to the Temple of the Stars.
One of the stories the author states that he collaborated on was "Temple of the Stars"

I'm gonna go ahead and read the later since, sure, while "Temple of the Stars" seems pretty much like a generic name for one of Luna's temples, there's still a decent chance the later will be providing inspiration for his work on the former.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Guarddogjr wrote:Hmmm, I might give it a shot. I just need to read up on some of the updates I've been neglecting...
...but it says it's "On Hiatus".
So it's not being updated...

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:44 pm

I meant other stories that I have that updated...

And yeah I saw that, still might be worth a shot.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 am

By the way, how much you wanna bet the Celestians track them down via that element of harmony they stole?

Honestly, I feel like they should really fly that thing out far from the coast and drop it.
I doubt they'd actually do that, there's got to be some reason why they need it, but it seems like more of a liability than a boon in the near future.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 pm

I was thinking that might happen. If anything the other elements would certainly be after it since Slight killed their friend.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down