Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by thatguyvex on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Reserved.

That may well go either way : perfect containment, or at the reverse catastrophic containment failure.

...

though now I'm imagining channeling all the blast's energy through a modification of the shield's geometry to utterly destroy the Core above while leaving the rest of Equestria unharmed...

Blast goes straight up... and keeps going up... and up... and up.

Blackjack: We didn't need that moon, right?
avatar
thatguyvex
Stallion/Mare

Posts : 56
Brohoof! : 15
Join date : 2013-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

thatguyvex wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Reserved.

That may well go either way : perfect containment, or at the reverse catastrophic containment failure.

...

though now I'm imagining channeling all the blast's energy through a modification of the shield's geometry to utterly destroy the Core above while leaving the rest of Equestria unharmed...



Blast goes straight up... and keeps going up... and up... and up.

Blackjack: We didn't need that moon, right?
avatar
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Posts : 1028
Brohoof! : 47
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 24
Location : In the bushes.

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm

thatguyvex wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Reserved.

That may well go either way : perfect containment, or at the reverse catastrophic containment failure.

...

though now I'm imagining channeling all the blast's energy through a modification of the shield's geometry to utterly destroy the Core above while leaving the rest of Equestria unharmed...




Blast goes straight up... and keeps going up... and up... and up.

Blackjack: We didn't need that moon, right?


Well, technically the moon would need to be at the exact zenith of Hoofington at that exact moment to be touched by the ray if it went straight up.

From a practical standpoint, even if we assume the Tokamare to be 2 kilometers below the surface, and assuming Hoofington's Core area to be 10 kilometers in diameters, the upward "beam" would need to be a cone of approximately 120° of overture.

With such a wide angle, by the time the explosion's energy reached the moon (assuming it was at Hoofington's zenith) it would at worst only be enough to provoke a second-degree burn to exposed skin (on the moon's surface...). At absolute worst.

Though with such a wide angle it would also mean that millions of tons of earth crust (and a marginal proportion of city with it) would be turned into superheated dust and propelled high into the atmosphere, potentially starting a nuclear winter, and at least severely fucking up the hemisphere's climate for a few month.
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 26
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Unless of course the perimeter shields hold, in which case the Hoof gets turned into a giant explosively-shaped projectile. Luna
avatar
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Posts : 1028
Brohoof! : 47
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 24
Location : In the bushes.

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Evilgidgit on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 pm

So, are you suggesting from the posts above that Project Horizons is Tokomare/The Core? I assumed PH was a space weapon.
avatar
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Posts : 169
Brohoof! : 18
Join date : 2013-06-06
Age : 25
Location : UK

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by cb5 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:So, are you suggesting from the posts above that Project Horizons is Tokomare/The Core? I assumed PH was a space weapon.
Wasn't Project Horizons to blow up the Tokomare by exposing it to moon rocks?  Like how trottingheimer's folly works by a starmetal bullet by exposing it to a moon rock?
avatar
cb5
Alicorn

Posts : 1541
Brohoof! : 19
Join date : 2013-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Evilgidgit on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 pm

I don't know. I'm just following what the Applebot and TV Tropes says. Scootaloo(finally a literal headdesk emoticon!)
avatar
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Posts : 169
Brohoof! : 18
Join date : 2013-06-06
Age : 25
Location : UK

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Though now I'm imagining channeling all the blast's energy through a modification of the shield's geometry to utterly destroy the Core above while leaving the rest of Equestria unharmed...
Hey... a few ideas here.

First: What if we're looking at this backwards? There's a spherical shield around the Tokomare and an umbrella shield over the Core. What if they reversed the Tokomare shield (if that's even necessary) to use as a shelter and set off the Moonstone/Starmetal reaction in between the two shields?

Second: The Core shield was (presumably) only intended to protect the city from above. It's probably not a full sphere, so the energy would be directed downward.

Third: Hoofington used to be a volcano.
avatar
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Posts : 1585
Brohoof! : 393
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 37
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by swicked on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 pm

What was the story behind the special exception magic Red Eye had researched? The ones that would allow a zebra to not be affected by a balefire egg going off, or that allowed bullets to ignore everything other than flesh?

Did he discover it or REdiscover it?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6598
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by cb5 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 pm

swicked wrote:What was the story behind the special exception magic Red Eye had researched? The ones that would allow a zebra to not be affected by a balefire egg going off, or that allowed bullets to ignore everything other than flesh?

Did he discover it or REdiscover it?
He used it to maker flamer fuel that wouldn't burn down trees and used in the everfree forest, also he discovered the research notes and used it as the basis.
avatar
cb5
Alicorn

Posts : 1541
Brohoof! : 19
Join date : 2013-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 pm

swicked wrote:What was the story behind the special exception magic Red Eye had researched? The ones that would allow a zebra to not be affected by a balefire egg going off, or that allowed bullets to ignore everything other than flesh?

Did he discover it or REdiscover it?

It was something that the Zebras had implemented before the end of the war, and Equestria was just on the cusp of reverse-engineering it. They had only built a few fully bypassed spells -- mainly the shield around the SPP and the one in the MAw basement. Other conventional locks using the biometric bypass were presumably an early version of the key spell, from before they got it to fully link to another spell's effects.
avatar
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Posts : 1585
Brohoof! : 393
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 37
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Noticed a small issue with chapter 55. 

"what, were derisive gestures a family trait or something? – as they as they started back through the gate."


Not sure if anyone else pointed that out. 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Found another one:
 
"He looked at me a moment, glanceded around, and then moved behind me."

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 pm

"He was silent a long moment, his blue eyes locked with mine. "


I think this should say "eye" instead. Only one was blue the other had a cataract on it or something. 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm

@Last:
Ah, thank you.
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4843
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

What was the error in the first one?
avatar
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Posts : 1206
Brohoof! : 308
Join date : 2012-06-05
Age : 28
Location : Boston, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Someone accidentally typed "as they" twice.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 pm

I can't believe how many times my eyes slipped over that.
avatar
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Posts : 1206
Brohoof! : 308
Join date : 2012-06-05
Age : 28
Location : Boston, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Icy Shake wrote:I can't believe how many times my eyes slipped over that.
It happens to us all. :)
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4843
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by FoolNeim on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:22 am

Shy
Um, I mostly just lurk, but I was wondering if anyone from the editing team or who otherwise has a connection to Somber could confirm that he's around? I figure he's busy with his rl stuff, particularly job-related stuff, but I just would like to confirm that he's okay. I worry about him sometimes. Um, if that's okay with you guys.
avatar
FoolNeim
Colt/Filly

Posts : 39
Brohoof! : 9
Join date : 2012-09-01
Location : Amurica!

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:50 am

avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 26
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:59 am

Well, he made a delightfully meta post in his Requiem tumblr 14 hours ago (shazam) so that's a thing! :)
avatar
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Posts : 2251
Brohoof! : 230
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 25
Location : MA and WI, usually.

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:39 am

I'm going to be -that guy-, but by the way, any news on the next chapter ?
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 26
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 am

FoolNeim wrote:Shy
Um, I mostly just lurk, but I was wondering if anyone from the editing team or who otherwise has a connection to Somber could confirm that he's around? I figure he's busy with his rl stuff, particularly job-related stuff, but I just would like to confirm that he's okay. I worry about him sometimes. Um, if that's okay with you guys.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I'm going to be -that guy-, but by the way, any news on the next chapter ?
Well, I don't know much about how things have been going for Somber personally, but he didn't seem particularly unhappy earlier when he contacted me about likely scheduling brushing later this week. He also sent us the first 22 pages of the chapter to peruse for big problems, and it is, of course, "horrible". :)
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4843
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Evilgidgit on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm

I, like I assume everyone else, is looking forward to the next chapter and how Blackjack will react to becoming royalty.

Pardon me for asking, but whatever happened to Jetstream after she went mad and was sent to the funny farm? Has it been said yet?
avatar
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Posts : 169
Brohoof! : 18
Join date : 2013-06-06
Age : 25
Location : UK

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by FoolNeim on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 am

O. Hinds wrote:
FoolNeim wrote:Shy
Um, I mostly just lurk, but I was wondering if anyone from the editing team or who otherwise has a connection to Somber could confirm that he's around? I figure he's busy with his rl stuff, particularly job-related stuff, but I just would like to confirm that he's okay. I worry about him sometimes. Um, if that's okay with you guys.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I'm going to be -that guy-, but by the way, any news on the next chapter ?
Well, I don't know much about how things have been going for Somber personally, but he didn't seem particularly unhappy earlier when he contacted me about likely scheduling brushing later this week.  He also sent us the first 22 pages of the chapter to peruse for big problems, and it is, of course, "horrible".  :)

Clearly, the author of the second most popular piece of fanfiction for MLP:FiM in existence, a piece whose popularity is only eclipsed (barely) by the other piece of fanfiction it was spun off of, is doing a "horrible" job. A Fallout/FiM crossover that is also a spin-off is almost inherently not supposed to be crazy good, but he's taken all these different elements and come up with something truly wonderful because he writes wonderful characters in a highly compelling narrative. I am generally sparse with my praise unless I am dealing with children, which he is not. Somber is an exceptional writer. The fact that he tortures himself is unfortunately a common side-effect of artistic ability, but I do hope he realizes that even if he doesn't think much of himself, others certainly do.
avatar
FoolNeim
Colt/Filly

Posts : 39
Brohoof! : 9
Join date : 2012-09-01
Location : Amurica!

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:31 am

FoolNeim wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
FoolNeim wrote:Shy
Um, I mostly just lurk, but I was wondering if anyone from the editing team or who otherwise has a connection to Somber could confirm that he's around? I figure he's busy with his rl stuff, particularly job-related stuff, but I just would like to confirm that he's okay. I worry about him sometimes. Um, if that's okay with you guys.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I'm going to be -that guy-, but by the way, any news on the next chapter ?
Well, I don't know much about how things have been going for Somber personally, but he didn't seem particularly unhappy earlier when he contacted me about likely scheduling brushing later this week.  He also sent us the first 22 pages of the chapter to peruse for big problems, and it is, of course, "horrible".  :)

Clearly, the author of the second most popular piece of fanfiction for MLP:FiM in existence, a piece whose popularity is only eclipsed (barely) by the other piece of fanfiction it was spun off of, is doing a "horrible" job. A Fallout/FiM crossover that is also a spin-off is almost inherently not supposed to be crazy good, but he's taken all these different elements and come up with something truly wonderful because he writes wonderful characters in a highly compelling narrative. I am generally sparse with my praise unless I am dealing with children, which he is not. Somber is an exceptional writer. The fact that he tortures himself is unfortunately a common side-effect of artistic ability, but I do hope he realizes that even if he doesn't think much of himself, others certainly do.
...Really, second most popular? ...Huh. So, um... who do we still have to topple? :)
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4843
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am

Kkat.


Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 26
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 am

O. Hinds wrote:
FoolNeim wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
FoolNeim wrote:Shy
Um, I mostly just lurk, but I was wondering if anyone from the editing team or who otherwise has a connection to Somber could confirm that he's around? I figure he's busy with his rl stuff, particularly job-related stuff, but I just would like to confirm that he's okay. I worry about him sometimes. Um, if that's okay with you guys.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I'm going to be -that guy-, but by the way, any news on the next chapter ?
Well, I don't know much about how things have been going for Somber personally, but he didn't seem particularly unhappy earlier when he contacted me about likely scheduling brushing later this week.  He also sent us the first 22 pages of the chapter to peruse for big problems, and it is, of course, "horrible".  :)

Clearly, the author of the second most popular piece of fanfiction for MLP:FiM in existence, a piece whose popularity is only eclipsed (barely) by the other piece of fanfiction it was spun off of, is doing a "horrible" job. A Fallout/FiM crossover that is also a spin-off is almost inherently not supposed to be crazy good, but he's taken all these different elements and come up with something truly wonderful because he writes wonderful characters in a highly compelling narrative. I am generally sparse with my praise unless I am dealing with children, which he is not. Somber is an exceptional writer. The fact that he tortures himself is unfortunately a common side-effect of artistic ability, but I do hope he realizes that even if he doesn't think much of himself, others certainly do.
...Really, second most popular?  ...Huh.  So, um... who do we still have to topple?  :)
Can't tell if this is in jest or if you simply misread, but Kkat
avatar
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Posts : 3480
Brohoof! : 121
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 26
Location : Essex, England

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Evilgidgit on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Kkat, of course. Writer of Fallout Equestria, which in turn is the only MLP fanfic to earn Legendary status. Dash clapping
avatar
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Posts : 169
Brohoof! : 18
Join date : 2013-06-06
Age : 25
Location : UK

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum