Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Secret World

3 posters

Go down

The Secret World Empty The Secret World

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 am

So if anybody has been paying attention to what I've been playing on Steam lately, it's this MMO called The Secret World.

Been out for about a year, I've been playing for almost 2 weeks.

I got to say that it's interesting to say the least. There's no class system, no traditional leveling system, and honestly it's really really solo player friendly. There are nine weapon types divided into three sections. Under ranged there's: Shotguns, rifles, and duel pistols, Melee is Blades, Hammers, and Fist, and Magic which is Chaos, Elemental and Blood. You can use two at a time and mix and match them. There's a ton of abilities for each weapon and in place of classes there are decks that are more like suggestions of weapons and abilities that work well together. "Leveling" is just earning Skill and Ability points. You use Skill points to increase the quality level of your chosen weapons and for talismans that act as armor while not changing your appearance. Naturally higher quality level stuff means better and that's the closest thing to actual leveling you have. Ability points are naturally for Abilities.

That said, I'm kinda back and forth on how I feel about it. I have fun playing it to be sure, and most of the missions are cool and varied and the world created is great. But at the same time, even without a traditional level system you still end up grinding a bit just to be able to survive unless you group with others. There are solo missions that require "stealth", which usually means jumping over obvious laser tripwires and avoiding cameras maybe even guards. And finally some missions just plain suck. Either because they're worded weirdly, give unclear directions, or are a part of the crazy Investigation missions.
One mission requires you to know Morse Code. As in, it actually plays a clip of Morse Code at regular speed and there's no transcript and you have to figure it out. Or cheat and look up the answer.

I'm in this game for the long haul, and it's my first MMO. It's offered on Steam and once you buy it that's it, no monthly payments.

If anybody wants to get it and meet up, my two characters are in the Cerberus server. My main one is with the Templar, the other with the Illuminati. I may or may not make one for the Dragon.
The Factions are a formality outside of PVP so regardless of what you pick you can play with anybody else. And PVP is section offed inside a special menu and areas so there's no worry of being in the middle of a quest and some random guy running up and killing you.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

The Secret World Empty Re: The Secret World

Post by Frost Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 am

I'm actually (finally) getting steam soon, so I'll give it a shot
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:59 pm

It's currently $30, which I guess is cheap for an MMO that you only have to pay once for.

Outside of the Faction hubs and PVP areas, the main areas of the game are:
Solomon Island in New England. Full of zombies, Wendigos, draugs and over all is pretty much something out of H.P. Lovecraft. First place you're sent to.

Egypt, which from what I understand is the second main area, is pretty much going through the 10 plagues again. Along with mummies, giant spiders and scorpions, jinns, and there's something about "The Black Pharaoh" who if his plans work out will take over the world, as per usual and a group of people founded by king Tut himself to stop the Black Pharaoh.

And so far finally there's Transylvania. Werewolves, vampires, forest gods, the fay folk in general, and something about old communist bases, experiments, and plans buried underground.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:32 pm

The game is currently 50% off on Steam so it's $15. 

If anybody is interested in the game, now would probably be the time to get it.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:11 am

So I got off my dead ass and finally finished up the Solomon Island story missions.

To sum up what I had to do, I reunited a broken tribe of Native Americans, bring them back together to help activate ancient runes left on the island by vikings that helped the tribe fight off Mayans with the sword Excalibur. I had to reunite the tribe because the god Loki had gotten his hands on Excalibur and the only way to beat him was to gain Gaia's blessing.

This being the place full of zombies, druages, wendingos, giant killer moths, ghost, and is pretty much a love letter to all things H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm in Egypt now. So far the only thing I've fought have been infected and converted villagers. I've almost gotten swarmed by them.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 am

Moodyman90 wrote:To sum up what I had to do, I reunited a broken tribe of Native Americans, bring them back together to help activate ancient runes left on the island by vikings that helped the tribe fight off Mayans with the sword Excalibur. I had to reunite the tribe because the god Loki had gotten his hands on Excalibur and the only way to beat him was to gain Gaia's blessing.

This being the place full of zombies, druages, wendingos, giant killer moths, ghost, and is pretty much a love letter to all things H.P. Lovecraft.
That is significantly more ridiculous and awesome than I expected.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 am

The game is better than what you thing it would be, but not as good as you'd hope.

I want to say the fight was an epic brawl, us trading blows to determined the fate of this New England island and ultimately the world. And despite being a MMORPG this is one of those times it forces you to go and fight alone. But at the same time, it's a MMORPG, so the fight was me circle strafing as I blasted away with my shotgun and hammering away with my "hammer" which is currently an ax. Also avoiding his big, telegraphed moves and killing any minions he summoned to give me more breathing room so I could focus on him.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content